Wednesday, December 3, 2014

I Must Take Action for I'm a Humanist!

“Humanism is a rational philosophy informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by compassion. Affirming the dignity of each human being, it supports the maximization of individual liberty and opportunity consonant with social and planetary responsibility. It advocates the extension of participatory democracy and the expansion of the open society, standing for human rights and social justice” -The Humanist  

The preceding definition of Humanism, if taken seriously, should be a call to social justice activism for those who claim its philosophy as their own.  I will use this definition to briefly relate it to my decision to stop sitting on the sidelines and start actively working for a just and fair society, especially due to the current racial injustices occurring in our nation.


“...informed by science..”


Multiple rigorous studies have found racial bias to be a significant factor in sentencing disparities between whites and people of color (blacks and latinos). People of color receive harsher sentences than their white counterparts who have committed similar crimes. There is a great report, "Racial Disparity in Sentencing: A Review of the Literature" created by The Sentencing Project, which is a national non-profit organization engaged in research and advocacy on criminal justice policy issues. Some of the findings of this report are the following:


1- “Contemporary, methodologically rigorous evidence indicates that racial bias continues to pervade the U.S. criminal justice sentencing system.”


2-”Decades of research have demonstrated that race has always played a role in sentencing outcomes, even as the dynamics of that relationship have evolved over time.”


This report doesn’t speak about police brutality, but there is significant research regarding that issue and how it overwhelmingly negatively affects blacks and latinos. As a humanist, I must be moved by the findings of social justice research to the conclusion that there is a systemic injustice which needs to be addressed and corrected.


“..motivated by compassion..”


Black and Latino individuals, families, and communities are constantly being decimated and broken down due to this systemic injustice. The suffering which results from this systematic racism should stir the compassion of any one who believes that ALL humans should be treated equally and deserve dignity. My humanist values stresses compassion for the suffering of others and taking action to alleviate that suffering. I look very skeptically on those who claim to be humanists but constantly dismiss the suffering and discrimination of others or turn to victim-blaming. There is an intellectual dishonesty and lack of compassion on their part and I find their self-proclaimed humanism severely lacking or non-existent.


“..standing for human rights and social justice..”


The call for action is here. Standing up for justice and everyone’s human rights is a necessary component to being a humanist not only in word, but deed. Though I am focusing on my own humanist perspective, I am fully aware of my progressive brothers and sisters of faith who are on the front lines of this battle against racism and injustice. I stand in solidarity with ANYONE who is standing up and taking steps to reform these systematic atrocities. The recent killings of unarmed black men like Mike Brown and Eric Garner, and children like Tamir Rice are vivid reminders of the suffering and injustices being experienced by blacks and latinos in our nation on a DAILY basis. I must take action! I will take action! I’m a Humanist!

No comments:

Post a Comment